Most of us have such busy lifestyles it’s important to know how to get a better sleep. Sleep plays an important role in mental and physical health, and sleep deficiency can impair your decision making skills. Sleep also helps with a healthy immune system and muscle repair. So how do we ensure a good night’s rest? Check out our top tips below on how to get a better sleep.
- Stick to a sleeping schedule – Try to go to bed at the same time every night and wake at the same time. This helps to ensure a sleep cycle which helps ensure a better night sleep.
- Bedtime Rituals – It’s not rocket science that doing anything stressful before bed time will hinder your sleep. Put in place a relaxing bed time ritual like a warm bath or indulging in your favourite novel. And put away the technology, no phones, laptops or technology before bed.
- Exercise – If you have a habit of exercising daily congratulations, as this helps to promote a deeper sleep. Just make sure you are not exercising right before bed as you may be to energised to fall asleep.
Still having trouble? Try the 4-7-8 Breathing exercise:
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
- This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.